It is our nation’s highest military award, but how much do you know about the Medal of Honor?
Todd Arrington, site coordinator at James A. Garfield National Historic Site, guides us through the Medal’s origins and history as part of our Leaders & Legacies of the Civil War Series.
Hear stories of father-son duos that received the award and the rare people who actually earned TWO Medals of Honor. Additionally, discover the only woman and president to ever receive the Medal of Honor.
Our Civil War series continues at noon on Wednesday, Aug. 8, at our Main Branch. The topic will President Ulysses S. Grant and the election of 1968.
By the way, if you’re interested in Civil War history, some other previous talks in our Civil War series can be viewed online in their entirety:
- Burying the Dead after a Civil War Battle
- James A. Garfield & the First Decoration Day
- Prelude to Fort Sumter: The Mexican-American War
- Ambrose Burnside: An Innovator in Firearms & Facial Hair
- Warriors to the White House – Civil War Generals that Became President
- General Winfield Scott Hancock
- the Civil War and the Grand Army of the Republic
- from Civil War to Civil Rights
- political cartooning during and after the Civil War
- the Civil War and USS Michigan