The main branch of Mentor Public Library is recognized by the U.S. Department of State as an official Passport Acceptance Facility.
For up-to-date information on all things related to passports, you can visit travel.state.gov at any time.
Passport application service at Mentor Public Library is available by appointment only.
Call us at 440-255-8811 ext. 250 to reserve time with a Passport Acceptance Agent.
The application process typically takes 20-60 minutes per applicant. More time may be needed for complex cases involving citizenship, parental guardianship or last-minute travel.
Applying for a Passport
If this is your first time applying for a U.S. passport, you must apply in person. You will need to bring the following documents with you:
Applicants Ages 16+
- A U.S. Passport Application (Form DS-11), completed in black ink
- Evidence of your identity
- Common identity documents include (but not limited to):
- Valid driver’s license
- Previously issued U.S. passport
- Evidence of U.S. citizenship
- Common citizenship documents include (but not limited to):
- Certified U.S. birth certificate
- Previously issued U.S. passport
- A passport photo
Applicants Ages 15 and younger
- Both parents or legal guardian(s) must appear in person and present:
- Completed U.S. Passport Application (Form DS-11) with the child’s information
- A passport photo of the child
- Evidence of the child’s U.S. citizenship
- Evidence of the child’s relationship to parents/guardians
- Government-issued identification of both parents/guardians
- If only one parent/guardian can appear, additional documentation is required. Click HERE for more information.
The U.S. Department of State is ultimately responsible for reviewing applications and issuing passports. For full details on what is needed when applying for a U.S. Passport, click HERE.
There are several fees associated with the U.S. Passport application process. Some fees are paid to the library, while others are paid directly to the U.S. Department of State.
Types of Payment Accepted
- Mentor Public Library: Cash or checks made out to “Mentor Public Library”
- The U.S. Department of State: Personal checks, certified checks, cashier’s checks, traveler’s checks or money orders made out to “U.S. Department of State”
- We advise against preparing payments to the Department of State in advance whenever possible. A Passport Acceptance Agent will assist you to ensure there will be no issues that could cause delays in the processing of your application.
- Execution Fee—$35 per application, paid to Mentor Public Library
- Application Fee—Paid to U.S. Department of State
- Cost is determined by the type of Passport product and the age of the applicant:
*A passport card is valid only for travel by land and/or sea to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean.
- Passport Photo—$10 per person, paid to Mentor Public Library
- Expedited Processing—$60 per application, paid to U.S. Department of State
- Provides faster processing at the Passport application reviewing facility
- 1-2 Day Delivery from printing facility to applicant’s address
- For Passport Books only
- Paid to U.S. Department of State
- Check HERE for current rate
- File Search Fee—$150, paid to U.S. Department of State
- Pays for a government records search for a previously issued Passport or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad if the applicant is unable to provide evidence of U.S. citizenship. The search is done by the U.S. Department of State during the application reviewing process.
For more information on fees, you can click HERE.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to receive my passport?
- Processing times have been significantly delayed due to COVID-19. Check HERE for current time frames.
- If you need your passport fast, call 1-877-487-2778 or click HERE for your options.
How can I check the status of my application?
I used to have a passport. Can I renew it?
- If you meet the eligibility requirements, you can send a U.S. Passport Renewal Application (Form DS-82) and any associated fees directly to the U.S. Department of State. You can print a blank form or complete it online and print by using these links.
- If you do not meet the eligibility requirements, you will have to apply in person for a new passport.
My name is going to change soon. Which one should I put on my passport application?
- Your passport application should have information that is correct at the time you are applying.
- Within 1 year of the date your passport is issued, you can mail in Form DS-5504 with accompanying documentation to update your passport at no extra charge. Click HERE for more information.
- NOTE: If you will be traveling and the name on your ticket does not match the name on your passport, call the company that issued your ticket to ask what additional documentation they require from you.
Where can I get a copy of my birth certificate?
- If you were born in Ohio, visit the Ohio Department of Health’s Vital Records webpage for information on obtaining a copy of your birth certificate.
- Anyone born outside of Ohio can visit the Centers for Disease Control website for a state-by-state listing of contact information for obtaining vital records.
- Those born in Pennsylvania must submit a “long form” birth certificate.
Other nearby Passport Acceptance Facilities:
|Mentor Post Office
||8600 Tyler Blvd.
|Mentor Title Bureau
||8804 Mentor Ave.
|Kirtland Public Library
||9267 Chillicothe Road
|Willoughby Post Office
||4040 Erie Street
|Painesville Post Office
||215 E. Jackson Street
|Willowick Public Library
||263 E 305th Street
|Wickliffe Public Library
||1713 Lincoln Road
|Wickliffe Title Office
||30188 Euclid Ave.
|Geauga Co. Clerk Of Courts
||470 Center Street, 8B
|Noble Shore Post Office
||25101 N. Lakeland Blvd.
The nearest Passport Agencies are located in Detroit, MI, and Buffalo, NY.