You may have noticed this star-spangled sculpture standing outside of our Main Branch.
Her name is Ursa Major and she’s part of a citywide public-art display called Mentor Rocks the Bears!
You can find Ursa Major and nine other bears (designed and painted by local artists) this summer throughout the city of Mentor.
The bears include:
- Terre Bear by Beth Gregerson at the Matchworks Building
- Carmine Bearanda by Leslie Edwards Humez at the Mentor Senior Center
- Love Me Tender by H. Mara Armijo at the City of Mentor’s Amphitheater
- King of the Marsh by Cat Swartz at Eleanor Garfield Park
- Can’t Bear a Day without Honey by Cyndi M. Konopka at the Mentor Ice Arena
- Woodland Bear by Tracy Parson at Wildwood Cultural Center
- Majestic Bear by Dorothy Geisart at Blackbrook Golf Course
- Real Heroes Don’t Wear Capes by Joan Milligan at the Mentor Fire Station
- 20 Bears by Britta Franz at Edward Walsh Park
- Ursa Major by Lauren Heuer at our Main Branch
Mentor Rock the Bears is sponsored by the Mentor’s Community Arts Commission.
By the way, a gala will be held on September 14 and all bears will be auctioned with proceeds benefiting future public art displays in Mentor.