It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and we have a sleigh-full of fun for you and your loved ones.
We’re hosting holiday story times, crafty Christmas programs, and even a concert. See what’s happening at the library this December.
Holiday story times
Meanwhile, we’ll have our Jingle All the Way story times at 10:30 a.m. every Tuesday between now and Christmas at our Lake Branch. And, of course, are Tyke Time story times at 11 a.m. on Thursdays at our Headlands Branch.
All of our story times will be stuffed with seasonal stories, songs, and crafts.
Additionally, we’re hosting a few special themed story times this month at the library. Mentor’s hockey team, The Ice Breakers, return to read you some of their favorite stories at 10 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 9, at our Main Branch. You’ll also be able to ask them about being professional hockey players.
Then, our friends from the Mentor Fire Department will join us for a singular story time at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, Dec. 19, at our Main Branch. Kids can learn about fire safety and what it’s like to be a fireman.
Finally, we’re having a special reading of the classic Twas the Night Before Christmas at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 17, at our Main Branch. There will also be cookies, hot cocoa, and a craft. Registration is required for this story time, so make sure to reserve a spot for your family.
Additionally, we’re hosting a free holiday concert with the Erie Heights Brass Ensemble at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 9.
Also, we’re screening a trio of free family-friendly films this December. You can watch the classic Miracle on 34th Street at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 4, at our Main Branch. You can also join us for a family film at 1:15 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 2, at our Lake Branch (Mentor Schools are closed that day) and at 1 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 14, at our Main Branch. We even provide the popcorn.
We’re offering a pair of cool Christmas programs that are all for teens. (In this case, teens means ages 11 through 18.) First, we’re hosting our first ever Holiday Saran Wrap Ball Game at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 11, at our Main Branch. Teens will try to unwrap a ball of saran wrap as quickly as they can. Whatever they unwrap, they get to keep, including gift cards, candy, and more surprises!
Then, teens can make can customize their own popcorn during a tasty program at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 17, at our Main Branch. They’ll learn how to drizzle, drench and season popcorn with chocolate, cheese, caramel, cinnamon, and more.
We’re hosting a plethora of programs for kids, teens, and adults where you can craft something creative and cool.
- Kids (ages five to 12) can transform a terra cotta pot into a gingerbread house and decorate it at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 3, at The HUB inside of Mentor High School.
- Children (ages five to 10) can paint and decorate their own wooden ornaments at 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 5, at The HUB
- Kids get two opportunities to decorate their own mug and then enjoy some stories by the fireside at our Lake Branch — at 11 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 7, or 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 11.
- Families can make a host of holiday crafts while singing Christmas carols during our
Annual Headlands Christmas Program at 1 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 7, at our Headlands Branch.
- Kids (ages six through 12) can make an owl ornament using pinecones and felt at 5 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 12, at The HUB.
- Children (kindergarten through sixth grade) can decorate a gingerbread house at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 14, at our Lake Branch. The library will provide all of the supplies.
- From mistletoe to midichlorians! Kids can make Star Wars crafts during the Jedi Arts Academy at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 14.
- Children (ages four to 12) can make fluffy snow slime at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 17, at The HUB.
- Tweens can make heartfelt ornaments at 1 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 21, at our Headlands Branch.
- Teens (ages 12-18) can add a bohemian touch to their holiday decorations when they learn how to make macrame ornaments at 6 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 9, at The HUB.
- Make your own unique holiday decor at 4:30 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 16, at The HUB.
- Tweens and teens (ages 10-18) can create crafty gifts for friends or even themselves at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 16, at our Lake Branch.
- Families can learn how to transform paper into all sorts of cool holiday directions during a special origami program with the Ohio Paper Folders at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 5, at our Main Branch.
- Adults can decorate a mug using The HUB’s makerspace at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 11.
- Make a Grinch mug at 5 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 19, at The HUB. It’s the perfect craft for those who hate the holidays and for those who love them!
One last thing: all of our programs are free to attend. However, most of them require registration. So make sure you sign up online or call us, so we can save you a space.